UPDATES (18 April 2021)
Dear paddlers and gym members,
COVID-19 infections are increasing in BC and across Canada, and health authorities are asking Canadians to reduce personal contacts and non-essential travel.
FGPC’s mitigation protocols continue to meet BC’s health orders, including fitness facility measures and dockside “Phase 3 Return-to-Sport” operating requirements. Staff, coaches and trainers have invested in excellent safety procedures on behalf of our members. Providing that our water and gym members, along with our employees, commit to tightening up our numbers of contacts, using masks, maintaining adequate distances and avoiding non-essential travel over the coming weeks, FGPC will continue to operate safely. At this time, all of FGPC’s “extraordinary access” programs are operating and available to our members.
As a friendly reminder, if we or anyone in our households or “bubbles” feels unwell, seek medical advice and stay home. If you participate in one of our “cohort” crew programs, your monitoring and adherence to safety measures is even more important: participating in a cohort comes with an extraordinary duty of care shared by everyone in your cohort as well as your workplaces and households: please maintain the highest safety precautions in your daily, personal prevention measures in order to keep your teammates safe, along with their households and workplaces.
We owe it to everyone in our communities to take the upcoming pre-vaccine winter and spring very seriously. Please ensure that you are receiving FGPC notifications (by email): paddlers and gym members must sign up for this free service, which broadcasts weather, safety and health updates to all subscribers. If you’re unsure about whether or not you’ve enrolled for these alerts, please do so today by clicking here: https://fgpaddle.com/dock-notifications/ (multiple enrolments won’t hurt you).
On behalf of the staff, coaches and trainers at FGPC, please stay safe, stay healthy, be kind, and have confidence that we will navigate the months ahead successfully.
EVENT SCHEDULE & “GO / NO-GO” PROTOCOL FOR FGPC EVENTS IN 2020-2021:
Decisions that affect each FGPC-hosted race will follow a consistent timeline that you can monitor, available HERE.
Over the winter and spring of 2020/21, we’ll be announcing “status updates” (go, no-go, etc.) for COVID-affected events and programming. Here are the steps and timelines that will affect our programs, as well as our dragon boat and outrigger races and events.
- GO — How will we proceed with events and programs for 2021, and what is the timeline for each decision?
- SAFETY — When we proceed with a program or event, what steps will we take to exceed the guidelines of health authorities to keep facilities and events like ours safe and rewarding?
- NO-GO — If a particular event or program is cancelled, how will this cancellation affect you, and what are your options after cancellation?
- THE FUTURE — What can you look forward to at FGPC in 2021?
Ready. Here we go.
- “GO” — For paddling programs and events scheduled for the 2020 year, including dragon boat and outrigger races, kids camps and group adventures, we will announce a “heads up” notice exactly six weeks before each event or program start date. At each six week point, we will indicate that a decision is 7 days away regarding whether or not the event will proceed. At that point, team managers and participants will have a week to consider details affecting their participation, such as shortened pre-event training and changes to team/group rosters. One week later, and five weeks away from the event or program start, a formal decision will be announced. If the event is a “GO”, a compressed registration window will open for exactly three weeks. All interested teams will then have 21 days to complete their registrations, payments and roster confirmations.
NOTE: In recognition of the compressed timelines required, FGPC will honour originally posted early bird fees for all events during these registration windows.
- SAFETY — When an event or program is confirmed, registration will open five weeks before the scheduled start date. At that time, FGPC will announce measures that ensure the safety (and fun) of all participants. For example, race distances may be changed to accommodate shorter training seasons and associated fitness levels; race schedules may be adjusted to provide for enhanced marshalling procedures; and paddler amenities and paddlers villages may be distributed in new ways. FGPC will exceed the directions we receive from local, regional and national health authorities as they pertain to our events and programs. If a race or program is approved by our health authorities for its scheduled date/s, safety will be our first priority.
- “NO-GO” — At five weeks before a scheduled event, under the guidance of health authorities, FGPC may announce a “NO GO.” If this is the case, our registration portal will remain closed. Teams and customers are encouraged to register, at no charge, through FGPC’s online portal. Payments for no-charge event registrations will be required 4 weeks before each event.
- As soon as a cancelled event or program start date passes, any pre-paid registrations will convert to corresponding enrolments for the same event or program in 2022 (see the 2021 date announcements below). Advance 2022 enrolments will be insulated from pricing changes, and teams can change their divisions and categories at any time before the 2022 registration deadline. They can also transfer their 2021 registrations to another team without penalty at any time before the registration deadline for that event.
- If a team or program isn’t ready to transfer an enrolment or registration to 2022, a refund request can be made as soon as the 2021 event date has passed; FGPC will refund the fee. In normal circumstances, a 25% fee is charged for event refunds. For pre-paid 2021 registrations, FGPC has reduced this charge to 15%.
- THE FUTURE — We have secured and announced dates for all FGPC’s 2021 races and festivals, which we have placed on the traditional weekends for each event. The 2021 schedule will help our members and visitors plan for the months ahead.
2021 FGPC Event Dates
|Event||Event Type||2021 Dates|
|Brotchie Reach Small Boats||Outrigger||Cancelled|
|Super Sprints||Dragon Boat||Cancelled|
|Gorge Festival||Dragon Boat||Cancelled|
|Vancouver Island Dragon |
|Dragon Boat||August 6-8, 2021|
Guts & Glory Championships
|Dragon Boat||September 18, 2021|
|Wetdashe||Outrigger||November 13-14, 2021|
QUESTIONS? Our offices and physical reception areas are closed, and our phones are not regularly monitored at this time. But we are happy to respond to questions by email. Contact us by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
STAY INFORMED. Please subscribe to our automated alert and announcement system. As the status of programs and events change, our announcement system will alert you immediately. You can unsubscribe at any time. Register for this free, automated HERE